Bakubung Bush Lodge
Bakubung Bush Lodge lies within the world-famous game-rich Pilanesberg National Park. This beautifully appointed luxury Lodge takes its name from the local word, Bakubung, which means “People of the Hippo.” Bakubung offers visitors ample opportunity to enjoy the surrounding pristine bush whether you’re relaxing on your private balcony or out on a game drive with the Lodge’s expert guides. Relax poolside during the heat of the day as you watch the wildlife saunter to and from the nearby watering hole. Unwind in the peaceful Bakubung Spa or challenge fellow visitors to a game of volleyball. Come evening the starlit boma is the perfect spot to socialise fireside and relive your Big 5 sightings. Its sheer comfort, Afro-chic décor, and exceptional service are bound to make Bakubung Bush Lodge a favourite Pilanesberg getaway for the entire family, while the Junior Ranger Programme is sure to be a hit with budding young conservationists.
Pilanesberg National Park is just two hour’s drive from Johannesburg, and a certified malaria-free game area.
Click here to view the Bakubung Bush Lodge Virtual Tour,
or browse the tabs below to view more information about the lodge.
- Facilities | Location
|Rates inclusive of 15% VAT • South African Rands • Subject to availability|
|Standard Room Single - Full Board|
|Standard Room Single - Dinner, Bed & Breakfast|
|Standard Room Double - Full Board|
|Standard Room Double - Dinner, Bed & Breakfast|
|Luxury Room Single - Full Board|
|Luxury Room Single - Dinner, Bed & Breakfast|
|Luxury Room Double - Full Board|
|Luxury Room Double - Dinner, Bed & Breakfast|
|Executive Suite - Full Board|
|Executive Suite - Dinner, Bed & Breakfast|
Dinner, Bed & Breakfast : Inclusive of Dinner, Breakfast, one game drive per adult per day, limited Internet Access. This rate excludes 1% Tourism Levy.
31+ Advance Purchase Promotion - Dinner, Bed and Breakfast - Prepayment Required Must be booked 31 days in advance
Look at our Special Offers for SA Residents under our special offers section!
SPECIAL DOMESTIC LEISURE PROMOTION
|03 October to 17 December 2018||Single||Double|
|Standard Room||R 3 430||R 4 860|
|Luxury Room||R 3 660||R 5 340|
|Executive Suite||R 6 350||R 6 350|
Terms & Conditions:
- Rate includes dinner, breakfast and one complimentary game drive per person per night’s stay
- Rate includes 1% Tourism Levy
- Rate includes VAT @ 15%
- Rates are valid from the 03rd October - 17th December 2018
- Please note that the special rate is applicable to new bookings only
- Rate is applicable to South African Residents only and is exclusive to Domestic Rate Holders.
- Rates are guaranteed for above travel dates on last room availability, until such time that the specific lodge is full and closed out
- Children’s policy will apply, as standard policy
- Additional terms and conditions may apply, at each properties discretion
Set in the crater of a long extinct volcano, the Pilanesberg National Park, which is home to Bakubung Lodge, ranks amongst the largest of the parks in South Africa and covers an area of some 55 000 hectares. The Park offers guests sightings of a wide diversity of animal and plant life. This includes 360 species of birds, the Big Five and many other South African animals. Operation Genesis, which involved the game fencing of the reserve and the reintroduction of endemic species, began during the late1970s.
The Park exists within the transition zone between the dry Kalahari and wetter Lowveld vegetation, commonly referred to as "Bushveld". Unlike any other large park, unique overlaps of mammals, birds and vegetation occur because of this transition zone. Springbok, brown hyena, the red eyed bulbul, and camel thorn trees usually found in arid areas are found cohabiting with moist-area-limited impala, black-eyed bulbul and Cape chestnut trees. The Park has a rich array of southern African wildlife including the Big Five and many of the animal species found in southern Africa.
These include lions, elephants, white and black rhinos, buffaloes, leopards, zebras, hyenas, giraffes, hippos and crocodiles. The diversity of bird life is excellent with in excess of 360 species. Though some are migrants, many are permanent inhabitants. Their food sources vary with some eating carrion or live prey, while others eat seeds, fruit or tiny water organisms.
Junior Rangers Programme
For those families looking for the perfect getaway, Bakubung and Kwa Maritane Bush Lodges become the destinations of choice. With service standards no less than outstanding, parents and kids alike will be amazed at the way in which both lodges welcome visitors into a an even bigger family, the Legacy family, in a way that tops off a well needed family retreat. Located in the heart of the malaria-free Pilanesberg National Park and only an hour and a half’s drive from Johannesburg, Bakubung and Kwa Maritane now also offer something special for children.
Apart from game drives, bush walks, birding and in-house entertainment, Bakubung and Kwa Maritane have developed something even more engaging, the Junior Ranger’s Programme.This allows parents to enroll their young ones in a unique, educational and, most importantly, fun experience.Under the supervision of trained staff, parents can rest assured that their children will be well taken care of whilst participating in a host of activities, thus ensuring a great getaway for the whole family.
Activities are geared around natural resource protection, environmental education and responsible recreation offering a special opportunity to explore the Pilanesberg National Park. Activities have been created for children from the ages of 6 years old to that of 12 years old and aim to encourage an appreciation for nature, conservation and natural resources. From learning about the history of the Pilanesberg National Park, participating in wildlife walks allowing children the opportunity to find out more about wild animals, the sounds various birds make become prominent as guides teach one what to listen for as well as that of the purpose of the various plant life around the lodges.
Once activities have been completed, kids are presented with activity badges and stickers.When all 8 activities have been completed, and all 8 activity stickers and badges have been collected,the young ones will participate in a Junior Ranger pledge ceremony whereby the Kwa Maritane and Bakubung Junior Rangers are given a certificate portraying that they are now a part of the resource protection, environmental education and responsible recreation initiative.
The saying goes, when your kids are happy, you are happy and therefore what better way to encourage your children to appreciate nature, than Bakubung and Kwa Maritane’s Junior Ranger Programme.Enrol your future Junior Rangers today for an experience full of fun and excitement.
Experience the BIG 5 with our trained field guides who will also show you Africa's other beautiful fauna and flora.
- Guided bush walks & game drives
- Snake Demonstrations
- Bush Sundowners
- Boma Dinners
- Bird & Tree Walks
- Board Games
- Kids Activities
- Table Tennis & Darts
- Junior Rangers
- 100 hotel rooms (1 wheelchair accessible room)
- Swimming pool
- Residents Lounge
- Legacy Balance Spa
- Conference facilities for up to 120 delegates
- Kids Playground
- Tennis Courts
- Wildlife Centre
- Transfer Service
- Computer & Internet Facilities
- Restaurant & Bars
- Volleyball Court
- The Bakubung restaurant caters for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Enjoy our African themed spit braai on Fridays. On Wednesday and Saturday nights you can book for the bush braai at our Boma in the park, or enjoy our Chef's carvery in the main restaurant.
- The Bakubung restaurant has various options to choose from. For an unforgettable dining experience try a bush braai around a huge fire in the Boma.
- If bush dining is not your thing, then dine in comfort in the main restaurant and choose from the Chef's carvery to your heart's content.
The Marula Grill Restaurant
At the Marula Restaurant, Bakubung Bush Lodge's famous traditional restaurant, you will be spoilt for choice with traditional favourites, as well as some tempting authentic local fare. The menu is expansive, the buffet is tantalizing, and the restaurant caters to you for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
- Breakfast 07h00 - 09h30
- Lunch 12h30 - 14h00
- Dinner 18h30 - 21h30
Thutlwa Pool Bar
Relax and experience the sights and sounds of the magni cent Pilanesberg National Park from a Giraffe’s point of view, whilst indulging in a refreshing cocktail at Thutlwa Pool Bar. Once the curtain of darkness sweeps over the open plains, enjoy a pre-dinner drink.
Ladies Cocktail Bar open 10h00 - 01h00 daily, offering a range of imported beers, spirits, wines and cigars.
Every Wednesday and Saturday we offer you the chance to dine under the brilliance of the African stars - an indescribable plethora of universal magic. Dine to the sound of traditional entertainment, and feast on a wide selection of local flame grilled cuisine.
Johannesburg - 175km - Pretoria - 135km - Sun City - 10km
Mmakubu Room - Our largest conference venue /120 people/
Magarekubu Room A & B - This venue is situated adjacent to our swimming pool and is our middle-sized venue, perfect for smaller conferences or boardroom style meetings.... /40 - 80 people/
Gala Dinner - Gala Dinner events to celebrate, reward or engage an audience with a brand or service. The evening event will generally feature a three or four course meal where guests are seated.... /80 People/
Pool Dinner - Exclusive dining experience set amidst our poolside area. Delicacies specially crafted by our chefs, toast to pure happiness under the scintillating Pilanesburg night sky..../100 People/
Kubunyana Room - Situated adjacent to Mmakubu and has a balcony area overlooking the park, perfect setting for tea-time breaks.. /60 People)
Standard King Rooms
All our standard king rooms have one king size bed, air conditioning, bathrooms with separate bath, shower and toilet, DStv Bouquet, direct-dialling telephones, electric shaving plugs, coffee and tea making facilities, a hairdryer, international multi plugs and electronic safes, minibar stocked on request.
Standard Twin Rooms
All our standard twin rooms have two double beds, air conditioning, bathrooms with separate bath, shower and toilet, DStv Bouquet, direct-dialling telephones, electric shaving plugs, coffee and tea making facilities, a hairdryer, international multi plugs and electronic safes, minibar stocked on request.
Standard Queen Rooms
All our standard queen rooms have two queen size beds, air conditioning, bathrooms with separate bath, shower and toilet, DStv Bouquet, direct- dialling telephones, electric shaving plugs, coffee and tea making facilities, a hairdryer, international multi plugs and electronic safes, minibar stocked on request.
Luxury King Rooms
All our Luxury king rooms have
one king size bed, air conditioning, bathrooms with separate bath, shower and toilet, lounge area with couch, DStv Bouquet, direct-dialling telephones, electric shaving plugs, upgraded coffee and tea making facilities, a hairdryer, international multi plugs and electronic safes, minibar stocked on request.
All our Executive Suite rooms have one king size bed, air conditioning, bathrooms with separate bath, shower and toilet, lounge area with couch, DStv Bouquet, direct-dialling telephones, electric shaving plugs, upgraded coffee and tea making facilities with VIP amenities, a hairdryer, international multi plugs and electronic safes, minibar stocked on request
Wheelchair Accessible Room
Our wheelchair accessible room has two double beds, air conditioning, wheelchair accessible shower and toilet, DStv Bouquet, direct-dialling telephones, electric shaving plugs, coffee and tea making facilities, a hairdryer, international multi plugs and electronic safes, minibar stocked on request.
Self-catering chalet with two en-suite bedrooms, kitchenette, lounge and open veranda with BBQ.
Inclusive of premium bedding, blackout drapes/curtains, and daily housekeeping.
The lounge includes LED TV and pull-out couches suitable for two children under the age of 10.
The kitchen is equipped with a fridge, hot plates and oven, along with basic equipment.
Terms & Conditions exclusive to and Bakubung Bush Lodge
- Bakubung Bush Lodge - Children can only be accommodated in a Standard room if sharing with one or two adults.
- Exclusion dates apply. Please refer to clause 3 in the attached terms and conditions.
- Minimum two night stay over weekends (Friday & Saturday).
- Dinner Bed and Breakfast rate
- - 1 complimentary game drive is included per person per night’s stay. Please refer to Wildlife Activities page for further information.
- Children aged 12 years and younger (maximum two children per room) will be accommodated free of charge on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis, including one game drive, if sharing with one or two adults.
- Children aged 13-17 years will be accommodated free of charge on a room only basis and will be charged (2018) R 650.00 (2019) R 710.00 per child per day for breakfast, dinner and one game drive, if sharing with one or two adults.
- Full Board rate
- - 2 complimentary game drives is included per person per night’s stay. Please refer to Wildlife Activities page for further information.
- Children aged 12 years and younger (maximum two children per room) will be accommodated free of charge on a full board basis inclusive of dinner, bed, breakfast, lunch and two game drives per day, if sharing with one or two adults.
- Children aged 13-17 years will be accommodated free of charge on a room only basis and will be charged (2018) R1 090.00 (2019) R1 190 per child per day for breakfast, lunch, dinner and two game drives, if sharing with one or two adults.
All rooms have:
- Individual air-con
- bathrooms with shower and toilet
- direct dialing phone
- electric shaving plugs
- coffee/tea making machines
- hair dryer.
Terms & Conditions
- All bookings are subject to availability
- Rooms will be kept until 18:00 on day of arrival unless otherwise assured or guaranteed.
- Check-in is after 14:00 and check-out is before 10:00.
- Rates may be subject to change.
- If the reservation is cancelled less than 14 days prior to arrival a 50% cancellation fee will apply.
- If cancelled 7 days or less prior to arrival a 100% cancellation fee will apply.
A 10% admin fee will be retained for cancellations made after the card has been charged.
CHILDREN'S ACTIVITY PROGRAMS
Legacy Junior Rangers programme is available for all children aged 6-12 years. Activities are geared around natural resource protection, environmental education and responsible recreation offering a special opportunity to explore the Pilanesberg National Park. The Junior Rangers Program is available at a small additional cost to parents and usually takes 2 days to complete. On completion of the program, children will be including in a graduation ceremony and will be given a certificate and badges for activities completed.
- Additional game drives are charged at R500.00 per adult / R250.00 per child between the ages of 0-17 years
Game Drive Times
|June - July||08h00||15h30|
|October - March||05h30||16h30|
Game Drives last approximately 3 hours, depending on weather conditions and animal sightings in the Park.
Bush braais are held (weather permitting) every Wednesday and Saturday night. If you would like to book a bush braai on an alternative night, a minimum of 30 people is required. If numbers drop below 30, the full rate for 30 people will be charged.
Prices may be subject to change. Non-residential rates available on request.
HONEYMOON ADDED VALUE OFFERS
- Allocation of a room with a King Size bed
- Bottle of Sparkling wine a platter of chocolate dipped fruits (strawberries when available) with a personalized note from the GM
- Complimentary Late Departure (Subject to availability)
- VIP Turndown on day of arrival
PILANESBERG FULL BOARD RATES KINDLY NOTE:
Terms and Conditions
- FB (Full Board) – includes breakfast, lunch, dinner and 2 game drives per person per day
- Exclusion dates apply. Please refer to clause 7 in the attached terms and conditions
- Minimum two night stay over weekends (Friday & Saturday)
- Please refer to Wildlife Activities page for further information
A selection of Conferencing Venues at: Bakubung Bush Lodge the Place of the Hippo
Bakubung Bush Lodge is concealed within the rich expanses of the malaria-free Pilanesberg National Park and offers you everything you need to get in touch with the bush.
These Pilanesberg lodges are set in an area where the Big 5 roam, a mere 2 hour drive from the hectic lifestyle of Johannesburg. Bakubung, or “People of the Hippo”, offers you everything you need in regards to comfortable and luxury accommodation. With the bush just outside your window you will be able to relax and take in everything about the bush and the animals living around you.
Bakubung Bush Lodge has some of the best accommodation in the Pilanesberg and offers an amazing family holiday experience.
The Kubunyana Conference Room at Bakubung
- U-shape: 22 delegates
- Herring-bone style: 30 delegates
- School room: 30 delegates
- Cinema style: 60 delegates
The Mmakubu Conference Room at Bakubung
- U-shape: 40 delegates
- Herring-bone style: 72 delegates
- School room: 90 delegates
- Cinema style: 120 delegates
The Magarekubu Conference Room at Bakubung
- U-shape: (A) 12 delegates. (B) 12 delegates. (A&B) 28 delegates
- Herring-bone style: (A) n/a. (B) n/a. (A&B) 45 delegates
- School room: (A) n/a. (B) n/a. (A&B) 50 delegates
- Cinema style: (A) 40 delegates. (B) 40 delegates. (A&B) 80 delegates
BANQUETING AND CONFERENCING
Below is a list of Standard Equipment and Technology you can expect to find at Bakubung Bush Lodge:
- 35mm slide projector
- TV monitors
- P A system
- Notepad / Pens
- Wall Screen
- Lapel Microphone
- Mineral Water
- VHS Recorder
- Flip Chart
- Roving Microphone
- White board
- DVD Player
PRIVATE GALA DINNERS FUNCTIONS:
Please Note: This would be in the venue that you conference in if in conference. Please liase with reservations for further information and suggestions if you are planning a function for your group or conference. This is subject to venue availability, the number of guests the seating capacity & entertainment for the function. A large variety of menus are available for your selection. Prices are determined by the menu selection. We have Standard linen in stock for Décor. Should you require assistance in getting quotes for additional décor and entertainment please advise accordingly?
Breakfast 07h00 - 10h00 | Lunch 12h30 - 14h00 | Dinner 18h30 - 22h00
• Sunday to Thursday is Chef ‘s choice buffet.
• Fridays - Out of African – lamb on a spit.
• Wednesday & Saturday nights an option is to book our bush braai at our boma in the park, or dinner in our main restaurant being our Chef’s carvery.
• Room service: is available between 11h00 & 21h00
To make your stay memorable for your guests we suggest that you include a game drive and bush braai in your agenda. The bush braai is held in our boma situated 20 minutes from the lodge. The menu consists of traditional South African dishes. A bush braai is held on Wednesday & Saturday evenings for all hotel & timeshare guests
GAME DRIVE BUSH BRAAIS OR BUSH BRAAI’S ONLY can also be arranged on any other evening subject to a minimum of 30 people being booked (Groups less than 30 pay for 30) If no other groups are booked, and your group is alone at the boma. Please note this does not confirm
Sole Use of the boma for a group, as bookings can change at any stage. Should another group book and be at the boma on that night your costing will revert to the per person rate.
FOR A BUSH BRAAI ONLY ON OTHER NIGHTS for a group less than 30 a surcharge of R4000.00 is applicable. If no other groups are booked, and your group is alone at the boma.
Please note this does not confirm Sole Use of the boma for a group, as bookings can change at any stage. Should another group book and be at the boma on that night your costing will revert to the per person rate.
SPORTING FACILITIES ON SITE:
• 2 Tennis courts (floodlit)
• Swimming pool
• Action Cricket (please enquire & floodlit)
• Volleyball – (please enquire & floodlit)
• Outdoor chess| Pool Table | Table Tennis
• Trampoline & Kiddies Playground
OTHER SPORTING FACILITIES IN THE AREA:
Golf, Squash & Aquatic Sports offered at Sun City.
|Gary Player Golf Course||Sun City, Valley of the Waves||Hot Air Balloon Safaris||Pilanesburg Game Reserve|
|The Gary Player Golf Course designed by Gary Player, is an 18 hole par 72 walking course, with a 5km running trail along the course. Built in an extinct volcanic crater this fantastic golfing paradise conforms to the stringent US PGA specifications and is ranked as one of the top five golf courses in South Africa. It is also home to the Nedbank Golf Challenge.||The Valley of Waves is the central feature of the Lost City at Sun City. It is one of the most advanced water parks in the world, dominated by the Roaring Lagoon. When waves are not generated, a bobbing cycle is generated in a diamond pattern. All Resort residents enter the park free of charge by presenting their resident cards. Day visitors pay an entrance fee to the park.||A hot air balloon flight is usually a once in a lifetime experience. Flying over the Pilanesberg, you will see incredible wildlife while taking in the breath-taking scenery. Hot Air Ballooning captures a mystical freedom as the natural elements of wind, flame and hot air, carry the balloon on a unique journey through the skies.||The Pilanesberg is located in North West Province and borders Sun City. The 'Pilanesberg Alkaline Ring Complex' is the park's primary geological feature. This vast circular geological feature is ancient even by geological standards as it’s the crater of a long extinct volcano and the result of eruptions some 1,200 million years ago. It is one of the largest volcanic complexes of its type in the world.|